Join us for our 11th Annual National Convention in September 2019
Certification is not required to become a member of the Guild. Membership is for 12 months from the registration date and includes the following benefits:
1) Special membership registration rates for Guild events such as the annual NBTSG convention. (10% rebate on certification exams, workshops, & general admission fees.)
2) Periodic email updates about Guild events and interesting things that are happening within the sharpening industry.
3) Membership credentials and use of the Guild logo for your business advertising such as website, business cards, and print ads.
4) Fellowship with some of the finest sharpeners in the industry.
5) Members Only Facebook Group. Contribute, ask questions, watch videos and more.
6) Listed in Sharpeners Lookup on the NBTSG website and affiliate websites.
7) Participation in committees and Guild functions.
8) Members only Google Groups email forum.
9) Access to NBTSG Perks program.
10) Savings available through Hertz Member Benefits programs.
11) Mailed copy of the NBTSG Bulletin, our quarterly Guild newsletter.
12) Access to Members-Only section of the website.
13) Free access to educational videos.
The certified members of NBTSG shall consist of professional sharpeners who have met NBTSG certification requirements as determined by the certification and membership committees and approved by the board of directors.
Grand Master Sharpener - This is a sharpener who has achieved Master Sharpener status in all the fields that certification testing is offered by the NBTSG.
Master Sharpener - This is a sharpener who scored high enough on the certification test to achieve the title of Master Sharpener in the guild for their chosen field. They can make structural repairs in shears such as twisting, bending and serration.
Certified Sharpener – This is a sharpener who scored high enough on the certification test to achieve status as a certified sharpener in their chosen field (Shears/Thinners or Blades). They can make structural repairs in shears such as twisting, bending and serration.
Journeyman Sharpener – This is a shear sharpener who tested on edging and adjusting shears without bending or serration and scored high enough to achieve status at the Journeyman level. This is a step below the Certified Sharpener level but they are fully capable of sharpening beauty shears and grooming shears without making major structural repairs.
Active Certified Members
An active member is a certified member who has met requirements for maintaining active status by paying dues and participating in guild functions and certifications. Active members are eligible to vote on all guild business and elections as specified in Sec. 5 of the Bylaws and are eligible for appointment and/or election to office.
If there is a period of time of inactivity the member may be designated an inactive member by the membership committee. At this time, a letter shall be sent to the member at their post office address, as it appears upon the books of the NBTSG notifying them of the inactive designation.
Inactive Certified Members
An inactive member is a certified member who has not met requirements for maintaining active status. They are not eligible to vote in guild elections; hold elected or appointed office; or vote on guild business. The member can obtain active status at any time by meeting the participation requirements for maintaining active status and receiving re-instatement approval by the membership committee.
An associate member is not a certified member and they are not eligible to vote in guild elections or hold the office of president, vice-president, chairman of the board, or vice-chairman of the board. Associate members may participate on guild committees, participate on the board of directors, and hold the offices of secretary and treasurer.