The NBTSG is proud to announce the Larry Brooks Memorial Scholarship Program. Larry Brooks, the founder of our organization, passed away in 2017. He, along with his wife Linda, his son Dennis and daughter-in-law Tonya, set up the National Beauty Tool Sharpeners Guild in 2009. The main value and basic premise of the NBTSG was the education and training of quality sharpeners.
To honor Larry Brooks and continue in the spirit of the organization the board of directors has established a way that any member in good standing can be eligible to be awarded free admittance to the annual convention on Saturday & Sunday and attendance at Guild workshops of their choice during pre-convention activities on Friday.
NBTSG Founder Larry Brooks at the 2011 Convention in St Louis, MO.
Basic Scholarship Rules:
• Applications will be accepted between May 15 and June 15th. The recipient will be announced in July.
• Each year the Awards Committee will vote on a question to be answered by the applicant which will be published by May 30th.
• Applicants must complete the on-line application and submit an answer to that year’s question. The answer must be submitted with not less than 100 and not more than 500 words.
• Answers will be judged on content, originality, coherence and logical thought. Spelling, grammar and following instructions may unavoidably affect the selection process. Check your work.
• The top three answers and applications will be selected by the Awards Committee. The top three (without names attached) will be judged by the membership committee for final selection.
• Recipients of the LBM Scholarship will be ineligible to re-apply for successive scholarships for a period of three years.
• All applicants must be willing to have their answers along with their name used in promotional media for the NBTSG and if they win will agree to have their photo and name published.
Guild members are invited to complete the application for this year's Larry Brooks Memorial Scholarship. June 15th is the deadline to apply for a scholarship to attend the National Beauty Tool Sharpeners Guild Convention in Nashville, TN. This year's scholarship is a Sapphire VIP Package ($475 value) and hotel room accomodations for two nights (Friday & Saturday) at the Radisson Hotel Nashville Airport ($300 value).
All members in good standing are eligible and encouraged to send in their application.
As an organisation which sets the standards for those operating in the industry, I recently invested in my development by joining the NBTSG. The skills of people within the Guild is extensive and I am impressed by their drive to share knowledge, experience and connect with other sharpeners.
Therefore initially, my intention is to leverage these resources in an ongoing journey to become the best sharpener I can be, a trusted advisor to my clients and accomplished business operator. In particular, I will be taking advantage of the training and networking opportunities.
In the medium term, I would like to make valid contributions to the organisations educational program by being an active member of the Guild. Long term, my goal would be to “pay it forward” within the community and assist those who are seeking to gain a foothold within the industry. Prior to becoming a full time sharpener, I held senior roles within global organisations. I have served on Advisory Boards for global industry bodies and European Law Enforcement agencies. I was honoured to lead organisational change initiatives, coach and mentor. My experience is something I am happy to share in working with the NBTSG, to assist in delivering the goals and objectives of the organisation.
Dennis Brooks (L) and Joe Gomez (R) at the 2018 Convention in Nashville, TN.
Thanks to the generosity of our vendors the silent auction raised $830.00 for the Larry Brooks Memorial Scholarship at the 2018 Convention in Nashville, TN. Additionally, our members donated over $100.00 by placing loose change and small bills into the donation basket, plus a number of our certification judges donated all or part of their judging stipend throughout the year.
The Awards committee is also looking for new committee members to help manage the scholarship program and volunteers to help with the Member Swap Meet and Silent Auction at the 2019 Convention. Awards committee members cannot be a board member or a member of the membership committee and are ineligible from applying for the scholarship.
Anyone who would like to assist with the 2019 Convention would be most welcome. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information on how you can help or make a donation to the scholarship fund.